REVIEW: Welcome to Sugartown (Sugartown #1) by Carmen Jenner




Thursday, June 19, 2014



My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Welcome to Sugartown started out pretty good for me, but suddenly took a bad turn around the middle. This book lost me. All the appeal it has at the beginning evaporated in nothingness.


I have to agree with the other reviewers, it wasn't what you'd expected it to be. I'm just not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Now where do I start?


Ana wanted to get out of Sugartown. She wanted more out of her life than making pies. She wanted some excitement.



Enter the devil on a bike.



Elijah has the word "BAD NEWS" written over him. He was extremely attactive though, especially with all that tatooes. Totally badass.

Is Elijah the excitement that Ana was waiting for?
Or was he a heartbreak waiting to happen?

Sounds good right? Yeah. That's what I thought too. I was hoping for a light-hearted book with a sweet, naive girl and a broken guy with a past. Although, I didn't expect it to be THAT dark.

So I want to start with Ana.

Errr.. Where should I start with Ana? I have no clue.

There was nothing special about her. Aside from the fact that I found her name cute. Ana Belle. Yep. That's her name. First and last name. Hehe.

She has her moments though. There were times that I wanted to slap her a high five because I really loved how she talked back to Elijah. But majority of the time, she's just plain and ordinary. Like any other naive, sweet MC whose just waiting for the right guy who'd give her the fuck of her life. Yep. She was that type of character.

I really liked her on the first few chapters, after that she became totally generic. Just like the rest of the female leads I lost care for.

Also, Ana's a bit stupid. When someone takes revenge for you, you are not supposed to be angry. I get that what he did was way over the top but still... WHHHHYYYY? I don't get it.

Despite all his secrecy and the fact that I haven't really had anything else to compare it to, I think I'm in love with him. Each day I feel myself alling a little more, and I don't really know what that means for either of us. Sure, he's here with me now. And yes, he seems contented living in Sugartown and working with my dad, but for how long?



Also why? Oh why do you have to fall for someone you barely don't really know. I've already shared the same sentiment on one other book I've read. On that book, she marries the guy, and boy was it messy. I understand that you don't have much experience when it comes to relationships, since you have an overprotective dad, but love is attraction or lust. Love is built through experience, through bond, when you get to spend more time together, and not just some measly get meetup with the guy every now and then. You don't fall in love at the first few days you meet a guy. You get attracted but love? I don't fucking think so.

So we have Elijah.

My oh my! You are indeed very popular with the female readers. I, however, am not impressed.

You are BAD ASS! Not badass, but bad ass. I was actually starting to warm up to you, but then you have to ruin that because of your little shenanigan. You do not ever do that to someone you love. Or do you really even love her?


No. I don't fucking think so! You never do that. Fuck someone and fuck her too? No. No. Just no. It is not romantic in any way. I can't see it. I think I've gone blind.

And you are so full of yourself aren't you? Arrogance could work sometimes but once you exceeded a certain line, you come out as a douchebag and not like a cool confident dude who knows what he has.

Also, I just noticed, he couldn't stop talking about the massive thing between his legs. I'm assuming he have some sort of disorder that cause it to always be hard. Hmmm. You need to get that check Elijah. Could be a deadly disease.

I liked Elijah on the first few chapters. He was funny, hot, tatooed and knows how to use his mouth... uhhh in talking was what I meant. I kind of adored him even more because of how nice he was to Sam (Ana's cutest baby brother!!). That was his highest point for me unfortunately. Other than that, I don't see any other thing.

I get that he has a past, but he wasn't trying to make it better. Sometimes, the only way to fix yourself is to accept what happened in the past. You don't need to keep that bullshit all in. If people care enough for you, they'll accept you whatever stupid stuff you've done in the past.

This would have to be the first time a hot, tattooed guy with a smart-mouth hasn't swooned me over.

Final Ramblings

I had a real big problem with the unexpected twist. I usually like surprising twists, but this has gone too far. I would have wanted a sweet but also fiery story about a small town girl and a bad biker boy. What I wouldn't have given to have that story instead. I would have really enjoyed this.

This book had dealt with real hard stuff towards the ending which I would have loved if it started that way. But the thing is, it was decieving. It started like a typical romance novel, then ended differently. It wasn't consistent.

I'll have to say that I love Sam and his lisp. It's really cute! I wanted to pinch him the cheeks and give him tons of kisses!!! *mwwaah* Best kid brother ever!

And there's Holly. I liked her. She had more personality than Ana if you ask me. And I like that she is having her own story, but I doubt I'll be reading it.

I've read tons of raving reviews about this book. I think it's just very unfortunate, that I don't seem to see this book the way they do. I'm on the minority on this book which sucks so please don't hate me.

What else am I gonna say?

The twist towards the end. It was bad. It was very bad. The sad thing was, it didn't affect me all that much. I wasn't feeling bad for Elijah, I don't feel any sympathy for what Ana was going through. I wasn't emotionally stirred by this book.

*sigh*

Where are all the good old books that has a simple plot but would make you love them anyways?? Where are all those swoon-worthy guys and loveable girls?? Where are all the books that will make you feel? A lot. WHERREE?

Recommend me some if you know of any.

Til next time!! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing back from you guys! :)
Drop me a comment ^__^

 

Flickr Images

Powered by Blogger.

SUBSCRIBE

Followers

Search This Blog

Video of the day

Copyright © 2015 • Book Ramblings of A Whimsical Reader