REVIEW: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith




Monday, November 10, 2014



My rating: 


Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
 



"Do you know that people who meet at least three different times within a twenty-four hour period are ninety-eight percent more likely to meet again?"


For starters, no I did not know that Oliver. And I'm not entirely sure I believe that either. But I could be wrong.. I mean, maybe, I just haven't experienced it yet, that's why I'm a bit skeptical about the entire thing.

Okaaay... going back. Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is not really just about love at first sight, as the title suggest. Lucky for me! I mean love at first sight is pretty much synonimous to insta-love, and for those of you who have been reading my previous reviews, already know how much I dislike insta-love in books... and I don't really believe it happens in real life either. Insta-attraction... maybe... but love at first... nahhh. m all for romance, really. I'm a hopeless romantic but I believe insta-attraction could happen, but love at first sight? Give me a fucking break.

Suprisingly though, I really enjoyed this book. Despite the slight hint of insta-love, I still liked it because of the other themes that were present in the book. Plus, the main characters were great. I felt that Hadley and Oliver are pretty good characters. Very relatable.

HOW IT STARTS

There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.


THE GIST

Hadley was on her way to London. Cool right? Not really. As much as she would like to really like this trip, she couldn't. Why? Because she wasn't going to London for a leisure trip. She had to be there for her fathers's wedding, to another woman. Hadley was not thrilled of the thought that her father, would now have a different wife than her mother. She had been intently wishing that something would happen that would make her miss her flight. I guess Lady Luck, or Unlucky was on her side. She did miss her flight.

She's spent the past few weeks secretly wishing that this very thing happen though admittedly, her imagined scenarios have been a bit more dramatic; a massive airline strike; an epic hailstorm; an immobilizing case of the flu, or even the measles that would prevent her from flying. All perfectly good reasons why she might have to miss her father's trip down the aisle to marry a woman she's never met.


After missing her flight by four short minutes, she went ahead and booked for another flight that would leave at nine in the morning the next day. She had plenty of time to spare, and was already expecting to be bored out of her wits. When a slightly embarrassing thing happened to Hadley, she met Oliver, who was also on his way to London. And who, she felt immediately slightly attracted to. who wouldn't be really with that accent!!!

His dark hair is a bit too long and there are crumbs down the front of his shirt, but there's something striking about him, too. Maybe its the accent, which she's pretty sure is British, or the twitch of his mouth as he tries to keep from smiling. But her heart dips unexpectedly when he looks at her, his eyes skipping from Hadley back to the woman, whose lips are set in a thin line of disapproval.


Smittened by Oliver. Haha.

Anyways, Hadley and Oliver started chatting after that.


Lost each other at the airport.
Then found each other on the plane.
Then lost each other again when they got to London.


When Hadley arrived in London, she knew it was time to face her father. Luckily, she got there just a few minutes before the wedding started.

The wedding did happen.
Hadley had mixed feelings about it, because she realized Charlotte (the new wife), was not really too bad).
But she still felt bad.
There was nagging feeling inside her that she needed to she Oliver.

I'm sure you guys could guess what happens next.

Yep. She went to look for Oliver.

THE CHARACTERS

Hadley


Stubborn
Loving daughter
Cute
Relatable


So Hadley was a tiny bit annoying on the first part of the book. I mean, if her parent's marriage did not work... why want to keep them together? I understand that she wants her family to be whole, but if it's at the cost of both her parents being unhappy, wouldn't you want them to separate instead? She was stubborn. If I could describe her in one word, that would be it.

But I guess her reaction is pretty valid. I mean, I probably would be pretty upset if my dad would have chosen someone else after my mum... I'm a daddy's girl so, I guess I probably would have acted the same way as Hadley, but only up to a point. I would not ignore my dad. I would talk to him and ask him why, and then go from there if I would be angry or not. Haha.

Another thing that bugged me about Hadley was... Why the fuck would you go running around London, finding a guy you just met at the airport? Honestly, what the hell was that about? Leaving your father's wedding like that? So immature. So impulsive. So wreckless.


Hadley feels guilty for taking advantage of him like this, especially on his wedding day, but it's like the lens has shifted; her focus is now clear. 

All she wants is to get to Oliver.


*shaking head*

No. Hadley. No. I didn't get that part. I mean I get that she likes Oliver and that they shared a connected, but really. No way. No freaking way should anyone try and attempt to look for someone, in a place you are not familiar with, just because you want to find someone you like. They had a connection, yes, but not deep enough for you to find him the way she did.

Aside from those, I felt that Hadley was a pretty okay character. Her emotions were called for, especially towards her dad, but not the running to Oliver one. *still shaking head*

Oliver


British
Calm and Collected
Funny


Oliver. I liked him. Not just for his accent of course. But yeah, I found his character more realistic and relatable than Hadley. He was funny and witty. Characteristics I love in a male character.

Oliver, like Hadley, also had an issue with his dad. Although, at an entirely different level. He tries to hide that hurt. When he and Hadley were talking, he would always divert the conversation into something else, just so that he could avoid talking about his dad. When the truth finally came out, I felt really sorry for him and wanted to hug him.. make sure he was okay. Sigh. Such a charming and adorable character.

Yep. I really like Oliver. Definitely, adding to my book-bf list.

THE ROMANCE

Uhhhhmm. I'm not quite convinced that what they have is romance yet. The connection was there, but I'm not exactly sure I buy the romance yet. But that was a good thing for me I guess, but then, Hadley and her running away looking for Oliver was a bit... meeeeh. I specifically didn't like that part. But the rest, the conversations they had was extremely cute, especially towards the end.

My rating for this love team is:

Hadley + Oliver = Cute friendship (with benefits... only kissing) going to be cute relationship, someday!

THUMBS UP

- Realistic portrayal of emotions. Especially on Oliver's part.

- Real family issues

- Pacing

- Funny, cute banter between Hadley and Oliver

- The ending.

-The setting. Who doesn't like London?? :)

THUMBS DOWN

- Hadley and her running away scene

- Hadley's relationship with her dad, was fixed too fast.

- Too convenient. There were parts that were too coincidental. And although I liked the ending, it was still too... perfect.

FINAL RAMBLINGS

Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was a book I was not expecting to like. Like I said, I'm allergic to anything insta-love, but yeah, it was a pretty good read.

I just wish that it wasn't there was more of it you know? I just felt that Hadley's relationship with her dad was fixed too suddenly. Her change of heart was pretty fast, seeing that she was so upset on the first part of the book. It was like one minute she was angry, and the next she was as calm as a sleeping puppy... Gosh I'm so bad with metaphors.. LOL. Anyways, I'm sure you guys get what I mean.

Oh yeah. Just want to mention, I read this book because I heard the movie was on the works. Not sure when it will be shown or if it's already being filmed, but yeah. Pretty psyched about that.

Would I recommend it? Maybe to people who want a light contemporary read, with a hint of real life issues.


7 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I might enjoy but maybe not fall head over heels in love with. I think I could be okay with that. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, contemporaries like this aren't something I'd usually read and when I first heard about it I dismissed it immediately because like you I hate insta-love because it's so fake and unbelievable. However I'm glad you still enjoyed it, and who doesn't love a strong British accent? ;)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/top-five-friday-4-books-i-wish-to-re.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah. I know I do love that accent. :D I wouldn't recommend this to you because of that sort of insta-love thingy going on, but the lesson that she learned toward the end of the book was pretty realistic and good.

      Delete
  3. Sounds good enough for me XD I have a slight insta-love/attraction soft side #guilty
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only handle insta-love if it is done correctly, but most of the time I don't think it. However, I still am looking forward to reading this just to see how it is. Great job on giving a thorough review!

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing back from you guys! :)
Drop me a comment ^__^

 

Flickr Images

Powered by Blogger.

SUBSCRIBE

Followers

Search This Blog

Video of the day

Copyright © 2015 • Book Ramblings of A Whimsical Reader