REVIEW: Opposition (Lux #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Monday, January 05, 2015



My rating: 




Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.





Buddy read with Melissa

There were a hundred ways all of this could play out, and I couldn't see a happy ending with any of them.



I usually start my reviews with my reaction after reading the book, but this time, let me start with my reaction before reading the book.

BEFORE READING THE BOOK

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That was me before reading this book. It felt like a gazillion of minions were jumping up and down my chest, because finally, I will be reading the last book of one of my favorite series. I am not even exaggerating. I put this book off for a while, because of that.

I haven't had a lot of good luck with series, except for a few (The Grisha Trilogy, The Infernal Devices, The Harry Potter series, Twilight YES TWILIGHT. Sssshhhh.

And this ending... well...

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Okay... that was an exagerration. I felt that probably around the middle of the book....

So...

I really wished this book had more dead people. Not random dead people who I don't give a crap about. I would have wanted someone to be dead. I don't care who. I don't care how. But at least one of them could have at least died. That way, the whole "fucking-alien-invasion" could have been more realistic.

THE GIST

It was happening - everything about the world as we knew it was ending, and it sure as hell did not feel fine. Or cool.


Of course Kat. Who would think being invaded by Luxen psychos and mercilessly killing thousands of innocent people would be cool? That is such a stupid statement.

Okay going back. The ALIEN APOCALYPSE HAS ARRIVED. The Luxen were everywhere and on a kiling spree. Daemon, Dawson, and Dee were still nowhere to be seen. Kat was getting worried.

The events on this book were set a few hours after the events from Origin which I loved by the way. And I'm not going to spoil you guys and tell you what happened and why the triplets were not on the first few scenes of this book.

Okay so something was going on with Beth. So Archer (who you'll first meet in Origin) and Katy went out to get her some stuff, to help her with whatever she was having, despite the danger of being blown to smithereens by the bouncing source of the Luxen by accident or not by accident, usually not by accident. Unluckily, their trip to the grocery didn't go as smoothly as they planned. The Luxen were throwing balls of their energy everywhere causing chaos, destruction, and panic among the humans. Who wouldn't be?

Katy caught sight of someone familiar. Someone she knew. And... He hit her with his source. And everything went dark.

Sooo... I will leave it there to avoid spoilers. :)

THE CHARACTERS

Katy

Drawing in a stuttered breath, I lifted my head. I expected him to kiss me and do something that would definitely make my knees go weak, but that's not what he did.


Oh come on Kat. It's you are being invaded by aliens and all you can think of is eating Daemon's face?!

This is definitely not the same Katy I read on the previous books. Hate would be a very strong word, but she was borderlining that for me. The Katy I knew before, was strong-willed but she wasn't perfect. She makes mistakes. She learns from that. She says stupid things. She makes up for them. But here, Katy was so perfect it hurts. She was Mary Sue to the highest fucking level. It was so annoying. And don't even get me started with Daemon. Don't even get me started with how much she worships this girl, but I'll get to that later.

Okay. Katy was not all bad in this book. She was strong and I admire that in a character, how she stood firm in making sure Dee gets a hold of herself again. I loved that. But then, that's part of her being absolutely perfect. Haha.

Daemon


I wanted her.
I needed her.
I loved her.


Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. We all know that by now buddy. No need repeating that for like 100 times all over the entire book. That was exaggerating, but you guys get my point right?

I DID NOT APPRECIATE HEARING DAEMON'S THOUGHTS! I did not at all. No. No. No. I didn't like hearing his POV. Daemon was sweet. Too sweet it was sickening. I think I prefer not knowing how unbelievably cheesy he was. LOL. Well Daemon is still my book boyfriend, and I'll pretend I didn't read his POVs on this book. I'll pretend it didn't happen. Because, it was full of Katy this. Katy that. Katy's so special. Katy's so talented. My kitten's so great. It's like a guy fanboying over some perfect female protagonist. It was good on some parts, but well... not exactly fun to read about most of the time.

The Minor Characters

Now I liked them more than Katy and Daemon on this book.

Archer was super cool. I liked how kickass he was and how funny scenes were with Daemon. Luc was well, Luc. He was still secretive, but has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. Dee was still a fun character. Dawson and Beth were mostly not in the fight scenes.

Oh and Hunter and Serena from Obsession is here! I liked how that crossover happened. I totally see that one coming.

THE ROMANCE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was not a big fan of that here. I'm okay with cheeziness. I'm freakin okay with sweetness. But given too much, it just annoying. And there were a lot of those annoyingly, unnecessary sweetness of that here.

Ha! And before I forget, there's a lot of quickies. Haha. Get what I mean? Haha.

FINAL RAMBLINGS

I love this series. I love the concept of Luxens and Arums. I love the characters. The writing of JLA has been good and engaging, and still is on this book which is why I was able to finish this.

I had more issues with this book than the stuff I liked about it, but I rated it 3 stars because I had to consider the previous series. I felt I had to also take that into consideration.

This book has its good parts. Like the relationship between siblings, friends, and well working together to save the world. Those are always good. But for me, that wasn't the main focus of this book. It was still Daemon and Katy. I didn't like that. This book has a lot of rave reviews which I get why. This is the ultimate Katy and Daemon book. They finally get their happily ever after and I loved that. But the things that happened in between before that, was a disaster for me.

The earlier fight scenes were good. But the last one, the supposed final battle, was just pathetic. It wrapped up too quickly and they weren't even the ones who ended it.

Daemon and Katy would always be my favorite book couple. They've been through a lot and stayed together despite that. I just feel that this is not the ending I had hoped for for this series. I was expecting more. I wanted more Daemon and Katy time, I got that, but just a bit too much.

Okay that's about it. Again, I still love this series... just not a fan of this ending.

1 comments:

  1. Wow, C+? I haven't start reading this series but from the reviews I've read, it has all been positive. I'm quite surprised that it was given such a low rating.
    Lol, quickies! They must be desperate! xD
    Btw, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out here:
    Versatile Blogger Award.
    Have fun! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing back from you guys! :)
Drop me a comment ^__^

 

Flickr Images

Powered by Blogger.

SUBSCRIBE

Followers

Search This Blog

Video of the day

Copyright © 2015 • Book Ramblings of A Whimsical Reader