REVIEW: Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby




Wednesday, June 24, 2015



My rating: 



When Quinn Sullivan meets the recipient of her boyfriend’s donated heart, the two form an unexpected connection.

After Quinn loses her boyfriend, Trent, in an accident their junior year, she reaches out to the recipients of his donated organs in hopes of picking up the pieces of her now-unrecognizable life. She hears back from some of them, but the person who received Trent’s heart has remained silent. The essence of a person, she has always believed, is in the heart. If she finds Trent’s, then maybe she can have peace once and for all. 

Risking everything in order to finally lay her memories to rest, Quinn goes outside the system to track down nineteen-year-old Colton Thomas—a guy whose life has been forever changed by this priceless gift. But what starts as an accidental run-in quickly develops into more, sparking an undeniable attraction. She doesn't want to give in to it—especially since he has no idea how they're connected—but their time together has made Quinn feel alive again. No matter how hard she’s falling for Colton, each beat of his heart reminds her of all she’s lost…and all that remains at stake.





"They say time heals all wounds, but meeting those people tha tafternoon - a makeshift family of strangers brought together by one person - had healed more in me than all the time that passed in the days that had come before."


REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

This book made me google and check if there is a possibility of a donated heart remembering something from the organ donor's past. I actually did some research and found that after a heart transplant, some people do experience a bit of a change (in personality) on the part of the receiver of the heart. I don't think it was medically proven that such a thing do happen, but the author could have gotten an idea from there... maybe?

This book was heartwarmingly beautiful. It isn't without faults, but the writing and how the story wrapped up was really beautiful. I think the thing that I loved about it the most was how simple it was, but it would touch your heart in certain ways.

THE GIST


What would you do when the love of your life dies? What would you do if you know if pieces of him/her now belongs to other people? How do you deal?

This are questions Quinn asks herself. After her boyfriend, Trent's death in an accident a year ago, she still couldn't let go. She still couldn't move on.

Senior year became a fog. I didn't nail my college applications. Didn't go dress shipping. Forgot there was even a sky or sunlight to kiss under.


Quinn reaches out to the recipients of Trent's organs. She wanted to see if they were okay. She wanted to see that they're fine because of Trent. Then maybe, she could finally move on. Finally let him go. All of them responded to her, except one. Colton Thomas.

I will respect Colton Thomas' wish for no contact, though I don't think I'll even understand it. I just want to see him. See who he really is in reality. Maybe then I can understand. Or at least make peace with it.


And she does exactly that. She went looking for Colton.


She didn't intend to talk or even utter a single word to him.
But it happened.
She didn't expect to get to know more about Coltron.
But she did.
And now, she is at risk of falling in love with the person who now own Trent's beating heart.


THE CHARACTERS

Quinn: I felt for Quinn, at least when I got to know her better.

I couldn't connect to what she was going through at first because in my head, how could you still not have moved on after a year of your boyfriend's death? That sounded really mean, but I just found it a bit unbelievable for someone this young. Could you really have loved someone that deeply at that age that you couldn't function well a year after you lost the person you love that is not a family member? I would get it if you lost a mom or a dad, but a boyfriend? I am just not too convinced at first.

But like I said, after a while... she grows on you. You then realise why she is the way she is. You then sympathise for her. You feel her struggles and see how genuine her feelings were for Trent and also Colton.

Colton: Unlike Quinn, I was drawn to Colton the first time he was introduced. Not only because he was good looking (*wink wink*) and such a gentleman, but also because he was such a strong character. It's not easy to be sick. I mean, I hate it when I get a cold or even just the sniffles. But what he had to have gone through being sick for a long time, must have been terrifying and... well I have no words to explain how I would have felt if I was in his position. You see how positive he was the entire time even when he was sick and that it so fucking admirable. It makes him even more loveable in my opinion.

THE ROMANCE

Ohhh.. I am a bit on the fence with this.
Why?
Quinn and Colton do look good together. I like them together, don't get me wrong, but I felt that... It was too sudden?!!!
Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred this to be a book about friendship, moving and letting go.

THE WRITING

I liked the writing. It was easy to read and relate to. The topic was something you don't encounter every day in a YA book or any contemporary book, but the author wrote it in a way that wasn't overly sad and gloomy. It was light and cute and I really liked that.

PLOT DEVELOPMENT

I think it was paced pretty well. The thing was... I saw the plot twist coming from a mile away. I knew things were going to happen, but it didn't bother me at all. Usually, I wouldn't like a book that has a very simple and predictable plot line, but it wasn't the case here. I actually liked it for that reason. The author didn't throw you with so many unnecessary plot lines. The story was simple and on point and I liked that.

FINAL WORDS

All in all this book was pretty good.
If you're looking for a light hearted contemporary read then I would highly recommend this.
It would make you smile. and get swooned on some parts.
I forgot to mentioned Quinn's family, but I loved them. They were so supportive and loving and caring. This book involved their family. It's not like some YA books that mostly disregard the importance of family.

RECOMMENDED? YES!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the premise. It reminds me a bit of Vital Sign by J.L. Mac, which was marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book - even more than you did. Something about it just captured me and it had me hooked from start to finish!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing back from you guys! :)
Drop me a comment ^__^

 

Flickr Images

Powered by Blogger.

SUBSCRIBE

Followers

Search This Blog

Video of the day

Copyright © 2015 • Book Ramblings of A Whimsical Reader