REVIEW: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer




Sunday, August 02, 2015



My rating: 



Cinder is back and trying to break out of prison--even though she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive if she does--in this second installment from Marissa Meyer.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother, or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana.



She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.


For the second time, Marissa Meyer wowed me! This series only get better and better. Smiley I don't think I have been this invested in a series since The Grisha trilogy.

And like I said, this series only gets more thrilling and more exciting with every new book. I am definitely getting Cress soon, because I can't wait to see what all the fuss was about Cress. Everyone keeps saying it's the best out of all the three books that is out so far so... I just have to get it. I have to!!!
Smiley

This series is my new baby and I just have to grab these... Soon... Like really really soon.

THE GIST

The story starts with Scarlet who is worried sick because her Grandma's been missing for a couple of days. She's never done that before so Scarlet knows something was wrong. But of course, the authorities seem to think otherwise. They assume she ran off or killed herself.

She would tell the detective that he had to keep searching. She would make him listen. She would make him understand that her grandma hadn't left on her own free will, and that most certainly had not killed herself.


But of course, they wouldn't listen. She would do whatever it takes to find her Grandma, even if it meant teaming up with someone she doesn't fully know or trust to get to her.

THE CHARACTERS
Scarlet

"I asked for information, not a lecture. I don't care how dangerous they are -- that's just one more reason I need to find them."


Scarlet was the character I was afraid Cinder was going to be. I honestly, did not like Scarlet too much. She did get better towards the end so that's always good. Cinder was still a stronger character and you see the contrast in their personality on this book which I found so great. Even if I didn't Scarlet too much, I was glad she wasn't exactly like Cinder. There is a distinction and I liked that.

So some of my problems with Scarlet is the same problems I have with most YA female protagonist. Trusts too easily. Usually do stuff first before thinking. Boy crazy?!! Well Scarlet wasn't, but if you've read this you'll know what I mean. But other than that, I felt Scarlet has gotten better towards the end when she started questioning Cinder's outlook on what was happening and how wrong it was. She definitely got me clapping my hands there.

Cinder

"If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are."


I actually loved Cinder a lot more here. You see her character struggle here. You see how torn she was on doing what is right for her and what is right for everyone. And she snarkiness is at an all time high on this book. She was hilarious. I like her chemistry with Thorne (although I know they won't be a thing), but their relationship reminded me of either Juliette and Kenji (Shatter Me) or Alina and Nikolai (Siege and Storm). I just loved it. So much love for Cinder here.

Wolf

"I appreciate everything you gave me... Even if I didn't deserve it."


I thought Wolf was an okay character. But I sort of predicted his character arc, and I was right. He's sweet and protective which is cute. And I thought he and Scarlet just looked too adorable.

Carswell Thorne

"Is it just me, or is this a big moment in our relationship?"


This guy is so cute and funny and adorable!! And sassy! And just absolutely a good addition to this series. I fell in love with this guy the first scene he was introduced. And that is saying something. And like I said earlier, Cinder and Thorne has this cute non-romantic relationship. They have this chemistry that you know won't go far from being friends, but that's why I like it. It's possible for fictional characters to just be friends and this tandem really made a good friendship pair.

Prince Kai

I liked Kai from the first book (Cinder) and I still like him here, but he just didn't have much role here as in the first book. He did make a very important decision here. It was pretty predictable but... I liked it.

WHAT I LIKED

✔ The story of this series just keeps on getting better and better. It's one of the amazing sequels to an already fantastic first book.

✔ Also the world building is still great. I feel that I got to know more about how this world revolves better than the first book. I got to see more of Levana's cronies and gauge their capabilities. And you also see how the other regions of the world coordinate with each other especially to the Eastern Commonwealth which was the setting from the first book, Cinder.

✔ I still love the characters. I thought their characteristics and purpose to the story is well realised. I felt that every character the author introduces has a purpose and not flat, useless characters to make up for the terrible plot. I really liked all the characters, even Scarlet who got into my nerves a whole lot.

✔ The pacing is so even althrough out the book. I liked how there were slow and fast parts. It never gets boring. I just aaah... in love.

✔ Levana. I liked her as a villain. I mean, you don't get to see much from her but you feel how menacing she is just basing on the stuff she does to the people around her. She is a despicable character. Right now, I'm not sure what her motivations are, but hopefully I see them more on Fairest (which I think is her book), Cress and Winter. I am curious what other despicable stuff she does next.

✔ I almost forgot about the freakin cover. It's so cute. I LOVE IT!

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

✘Insta-fucking love. Need I explain more? I didn't mind it on the first book because it was given that anyone would be smitten by a prince, but in this book, I could not forgive it. I couldn't. Don't get me wrong, I liked these two together (not spoiling who) but how fast the girl trusted the guy was a big issue for me. Trust is earned. You just don't go ramdomly giving it to anyone who says they could help you. No. It could get you in all sorts of trouble. And this is the same problem I'm having with this other book I'm reading, A Winner's Curse.

✘Although I didn't hate Scarlet as a character, she did annoy me quite a lot and thought she deserve her space here on the things I didn't like. She was the type of character I didn't want Cinder to be. She suffers from the do-now-think-later syndrome and it made me roll my eyes a lot of times. I was like "Why are you doing that girl? Why???". But she grows on you. And towards the end, her character does develop and she has some words for Cinder that I really agree with.

✘It's still quite predictable. I saw the connecting plots from a mile away. Not sure if it was intentional, but yeah... Again, I didn't hate it, but it was something I wished could have been better.

FINAL WORDS

I pointed out three things that I didn't particularly like about this book, but those things still didn't lessen my love for it. I rated this book 5 stars still because it's still amazing. I enjoyed it thoroughly. And I guess that's really the purpose of this book, to let the readers enjoy and feel this world that was created by the author. And Marissa Meyer did just that. She is such an amazing author and I love her to bits.

I am so happy that this second book did not suck because I would be really damn pissed if it did. See, bad sequels tends to make me not finish a series. But luckily, this one exceeded my expectations so I would definitely finish this series.

I would highly recommend this series to readers who are into fantasy, but not quite into the more serious ones like The Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time ect. This is a very good series to start with the genre if you aren't into fantasy.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing back from you guys! :)
Drop me a comment ^__^

 

Flickr Images

Powered by Blogger.

SUBSCRIBE

Followers

Search This Blog

Video of the day

Copyright © 2015 • Book Ramblings of A Whimsical Reader